Gomeramos King (天王創魔心 ゴメラモスキング Tennō Sōma-shin Gomeramos King?, lit. "Heaven King Demon-Breeding Heart Gomeramos King") is a boss and one of the main antagonists in the Contra series. It is Demon Dragon God Java's heart, which nurtures the whole aliens' hive biomass.
Gomeramos King is the last boss in the original Contra, and as such, it is the first main antagonist to appear in the whole Contra series. It is a giant alien heart which nurtures the cocoons scattered throughout the aliens' hive, theoretically being an alien life form responsible for spawning all newborn offspring.
It is usually found right after defeating Demon Dragon God Java, actually being his own self-sustaining heart which must be defeated separately in order to stop the whole alien invasion.
In nearly all of its incarnations, the alien heart seems to have a self-defense mechanism, mostly consisting of projectiles or energy-based weapons. Combined with the constant streams of newborn aliens, fighting it can prove to be a worthy challenge.
Four cocoons are usually attached around the organ, two on the ground an two on the ceiling; these keep constantly releasing Buggers throughout the course of the fight, although they can be destroyed separately in order to alleviate the whole ordeal. Due to the somewhat unpredictable behavior of these newborn aliens —whether they quickly scurry along the floor, start levitating as they leave the screen, or jump from the ceiling to either return to it or remain on the ground— the battle can indeed prove to be challenging.
Once the heart is put out of commission, the alien's major operation is halted to a full stop due to the sudden drop of alien workforce.
In Contra: Shattered Soldier, Lance Bean fuses with an alien and attacks Bill and Lucia, transforming into several creatures, the first being a giant alien heart similar to Gomeramos with many eyes around it.
In Contra: Return, although not having Eggrons and Wadders to help it this time around, Gomeramos King retains some of its classic attacks, as well as a few new ones:
- Summons Buggers as it often did in previous games.
- Summons Orians (or mutated Greeders).
- Hurls down blood cells diagonally at the player in a similar way as meteors.
- Produces a rain of noxious blood directly above the player.
- Puts up barrier that enables it to regain its health and take less damage. To prevent it from regaining more health, the player must keep on shooting at the alien heart.
Also, Gomeramos King in Return will be fought more than once in different nests.
- In the MSX2 version of Contra, Gomeramos King acts only as an end of stage boss, and defeating it roughly marks having reached the middle part of the game.
- According to the accepted canon, Gomeramos King dies in the first game, putting an end to the alien invasion, although it reappears numerous times throughout the series as a recurrent boss. Whether this means it was revived, it was reborn from alien cells, there are more than one of these creatures, or if they are just a reused concept with no involvement in the story of the games they appear in is uncertain.
- In the Famicom port of Contra, the entire Alien's Lair pulsates as though alive, which infers that the entire level is one living creature and Gomeramos is just an organ inside it.
- It is usually common to see the whole organic stage to start pulsating faster each time as the heart sustains damage, suggesting the whole biomass is reaching critical condition and about to collapse.