Neo Contra ネオコントラ (Neo Kontora)is a videogame of the Contra series developed by Konami in 2004 for PlayStation 2. It is a sequel to Contra: Shattered Soldier and has a different game style like Super Contra-styled special levels.
Neo Contra takes place during A.D. 4444 when the Earth has been transformed into a prison planet, home to criminals and political rebels (Contras). From this underworld society rises a new order called "Neo Contra". This government quickly showed its true colors, as it has other plans than bringing back normal civilization. Carrying out this new threat are four renegade contra, who are called the Four Elite. Thus, Bill Rizer is partnered with Genbei "Jaguar" Yagyu, a Samurai, and the two are sent to Earth to deal with the Neo Contra threat.
Neo Contra once again brings the games arena back into three dimensions. However, unlike the titles developed under Appaloosa Interactive, players only need to aim in third dimension upon rare occasions. Additionally, this title eradicates the boss-oriented gameplay of Hard Corps and the previous 32-bit titles, and seeks a balance more reminiscent of the 8-bit and SNES Contra games; long free-form shooting sections, interspliced with boss encounters. Additionally, gameplay varies depending upon the level and camera angle presented (the camera cannot be user-controlled). Most of the game is played in an isometric perspective, but portions are side-scrolling or overhead-behind. The player cannot jump. Instead, two new defensive moves are added that allows the player to effectively evade in the new dimensions: dash and spin. Dash gives the player a quick burst of speed to evade hostiles, while spin gives the player an instant of invulnerability. The hit-ratio system that was introduced in Shattered Soldier has been kept in this title. The game uses a modified version of the three-weapon configuration from Shattered Soldier. The player has two types of firearms used against ground-level targets, one with regular ammo and the other with flammable rounds, and a third weapon used to lock-on airborne targets. The player can choose from one of the three initially available weapon sets (one which includes the famous Spread Shot from the earlier Contra games, which was missing in Shattered Soldier), with three additional sets that are time-release. The Type F configuration features the GV Laser and Ripple Laser, both weapons from Gradius V. There are a total of seven stages in the game. Like Shattered Soldier, the four initial stages can played in any order and be replayed anytime for higher grading. The fifth stage can only be selected by clearing the first four stages, while the sixth and seventh stages are only available if players maintain an above average grade overall. There is a difficulty setting in the options menu, and playing on Easy difficulty grants players 30 lives to beat the first four missions, but on this difficulty it is impossible to view the game's ending. Normal mode offers players 5 lives and 7 continues to complete the seven missions of the game.
- Bill Rizer clone: the main protagonist in the game, he is unaware he is a clone at the start of the story.
- Genbei "Jaguar" Yagyu: Called Jaguar is a warrior who follows the samurai's code and uses a Katana, a powerful weapon in this game.
- The Four Hell Warriors of Neo Contra - The four elite members of the Neo Contra organization
- Mystery G: A mysterious elderly mercenary who wears green Contra armor very similar to those worn by Bill Rizer in Shattered Soldier. His true identity is explicitly stated, but he claims he was once called Contra.
- Master Contra: The leader of Neo Contra and threat to humanity. He is a weapon consisting of Bill Rizer's mind, inside of a new body.
Weapon sets Edit
There are six distinct weapon combinations available for players. Generally a normal set can be used, but when Katana Jaguar is unlocked players will receive a Katana or Fire Katana. Weapon sets A to C are available by default, D is acquired by clearing the game once and E, as well as F, requires A rank or better on levels 1 to 5.
- A: Machine Gun, Grenade Bomb, Lock on Missile
- B: Charge Shot, Fire Whip, Lock on Laser
- C: Shotgun, Classic Fireball, Lock on Thunder
- D: Lightning, Ground Bazooka, Heaven's Laser
- E: Drill Shot, Reflect Laser, Lock on Fairy's Laser
- F: Ripple Laser, GV Laser, Lock on Variable Weapon
Katana Jaguar combinations Edit
- A: Katana, Classic Fireball, Lock on Laser
- B: Katana, Fire Whip, Lock on Thunder
- C: Machine Gun, Fire Katana, Lock on Laser
- D: Lighting, Fire Katana, Heaven's Laser
- E: Katana, Reflect Laser, Lock on Fairy Lasr
- F: Ripple Laser, Fire Katana, Lock on Variable Weapon